Thursday 28 February 2008

Action packed

We were up and out early today.

By mid morning we were in the park. Both Hermione and Miles are growing in confidence all of the time. As a child I didn't have the confidence to climb and really experience the joys of play parks. My dad was extremely cautionary and I think I absorbed his well intentioned fears.





Often mindful of my own childhood experiences in this respect I try not to caution Miles and Hermione too much about the physical dangers of play equipment. This almost all changed when at three Hermione fell over the top of a high slide, eight feet down onto a concrete surface. I remember that fall like it was yesterday. She seemed to be in free fall for what felt to me like a good four minutes. Thankfully she managed to muster some really basic instincts and flipped onto her front and landed on all fours. It could have been so different. I felt truly very blessed that day believe me!

Standing in play parks, watching them play, I try to remind myself of the words of a poem I love, The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

I want to know if you can be with joy
mine or your own
if you can dance with wildness
and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us
to be careful
to be realistic
to remember the limitations of being human.


We admired the bandstand and the bird in the blossom tree.





Next it was on to the beach. Building sandcastle and eating chips on an almost deserted beach is so grounding. Wonderful.



Next stop was the Monkwearmouth Station Museum where much fun was had dressing up and writing train tickets.



Back home we baked a gluten free date loaf which went down ever so well. I think it may have restored some faith in my baking abilities after my biscuit based effort at the weekend.



Two worn out rosy cheeked children now tucked up in bed. I don't think I'll be far behind them.

2 comments:

Wobblymoo said...

Great looking loaf, I'm sure it tasted lovely. I love that poem too, letting the reins lose is one of the hardest things I find

Lima said...

What a fantastic day!

Love the dressing up clothes and that park looks fab.

Lxx